Hi, my name is Pinky, and here are my pastimes:
I PECK: An adventurous foodie, I will eat anything, just to try it. Except maybe for live, wriggling creatures. When I’m not eating food, I’m thinking about food.
I ROOST: I enjoy myself when I am not travelling or eating by visiting heritage sites closer to home, surfing the web, and blogging about my thoughts and discoveries.
I was born in HK but grew up largely in the UK, going to school in Eastbourne then university in Oxford, and now working in Brighton. One of my first memories of England was feeding pigeons in Trafalgar Square (now banned).
My favourite food as a child in HK was squab, and I miss it immensely. I believe that when eating out, food should either be fun, authentic, innovative, photogenic, or mouthwatering, otherwise there’s always the home kitchen to rely on. A picky eater when a child in Hong Kong, I’m now making up for lost tastings!
I wish I had a pigeon’s best qualities. Alas, I am small and jittery and my sight is far from keen. Although I don’t want to date a pigeon, I would like to, one day…
- meet the rare pink pigeon, in a zoo or in its native Africa
- migrate back ‘home’ to HK
- be loved like the pigeon that was loved by Nikola Tesla, who said “as long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life“
- attain a role of importance, like the pigeon who served as Prime Minister to the Emperor Shaohao (one of China’s semi-legendary Five Emperors)
- say, in the spirit of Winston Churchill: “We are all pigeons. But I believe that I am a pink pigeon.”